Saturday, July 19, 2008

"Phew," Puppy!

If it Looks Like Poo,
If it Smells Like Poo,
Why then, Breton
Must you Eat your Poo?

I awoke to two puppy paws on the side of my bed last night. The moment I felt her paws touch the bed, I was up like a shot because in my sleep, I could smell the familiar odour of her need to get outside. I was so proud of her for waking me up, but was also feeling guilty as we fumbled our way urgently down the dark stairs to the back door as the smell was so strong I thought she must have already had an accident somewhere in the house. When she came back inside we had a puppy party, where we cuddled and I gave her kudos for waking me up to be let out. How innocent of me it was to think that we would go back to sleep and call it over. As I settled back into bed around 3:30 am, Greg was saying how he had been dreaming of being in a perpetual state of stink and as I was telling him what had happened, I heard the unmistakable sound of Breton's pattering feet running out of the bedroom and into the hallway. As I leapt out of bed after her, I heard the sound of vomit hitting the hallway carpet! I held back her ears as round two of partially digested puppy poo came over the light colored carpet in a thick creamy textured spill of dark brown. I was able to move her to the tile in the bathroom for round three and as I was holding her and describing in inappropriate words to Greg what was happening I also told him to prepare himself, that I was going to need his help. He came into the hallway, instantly gagging by the smell and a chain reaction of gagging was started to where I thought one of us was going to be sick as well. Thank goodness for his strength because he made a plan to go to the garage and get the shop vac. Brilliant, and our gagging was diverted!

When he came out of the bedroom, the door had closed behind him and wouldn't you know, the lock on the handle was on and as he went back to get dressed, we realized that we were locked out with Bentley and both of our clothes on the other side! We had to laugh. We managed anyway and went to work, vacuuming, cleaning and helping poor Breton because another 5 rounds of puppy poo came from her once we were downstairs (once in poor Bentley's kennel) and in the back yard and as if her little body hadn't had enough, out came three more rounds of gooey raw hide from earlier in the evening.

After we cleaned up, we watched some Holmes on Holmes at 4:30 am, while we sat with her to make sure she was okay and at 5 am, we picked the bedroom lock with a hanger and all went back to bed completely drained. Not really to my surprise, Breton woke us up at 9 am in typical Lab fashion to say, "hey guys, it's breakfast time and I'm hungry, lets go." Her morning business was diarrhea, as if there could be anything left in her, but that was the last of it and she is perfectly fine today.

There was an accident in the kitchen that I discovered the first time we got up, and I am positive that she had had another accident in the house and ate it before she woke me up which caused her to get sick. Another puppy adventure goes down in our memory as one that won't soon be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment