Saturday, September 27, 2008

Loose Leash, Food Distraction and Recall


I believe Maria said that those are the three most important skills for a guide/assistance dog to learn. Today we practiced food distraction by putting a small amount of kibble in a container on our deck and some tasty wieners in my food pouch to reward her with. As I placed the kibble in the center of the deck, Breton watched me or actually, the kibble very closely while drool bubbles leaked from the corners of her mouth. We practiced by walking in a large circle around the kibble, and as she would look towards the kibble, I would say "leave it" and then reward her with pieces of wiener from my food pouch. After bringing her inside, putting the kibble away and praising her for what a good job she did, she went back outside to find that the darn bowl of kibble was gone. It had been sitting there so readily for her to gobble up too, "what the heck Mom, what the heck?"

No comments:

Post a Comment