Monday, November 3, 2008

Now you See me, Now you Don't . . .





We had a fantastic dinner at Bob & Elaine's on Sat. night. There were two other couples who like us, bid and won this special dinner at a silent auction for charity, at Greg's work. We haven't been out bid for three years in a row - it is a dinner one can not afford to miss.
Breton came along with us this year. Elaine was the only one there who had met Breton previously, but she and Bob are both fond of dogs and said it would be okay to bring her along.
When we arrived and we were doing introductions, a spouse of one of Greg's co-workers asked me,
"how do you know that she isn't going to have an accident in the house?"
I found myself thinking, what do you mean accident, she's almost 9 months old - easy question and so I replied, confidently,
"she's house trained and she doesn't really do that any more."
I am still cringing from saying this, because I should know so much better than that.

We ate exceptionally well that evening, from appetizers to an outstanding three course meal, followed by Bob's renowned coffee. All the while, Breton slept famously beside me on the floor, or under the table. Occasionally she got up to go to the kitchen, or follow myself or Greg if we got up to use the bathroom. We took her out for a pee break every hour we were there. I wasn't taking any chances after boasting so highly about her well mannered self, not if I could help it.

Twice, we watched Breton from where we sat at the dinner table take a tour down the stairs to the basement and both times, she she came right back when called. The first time, faster than the second...

Greg called me this morning after he got to work and after having a good laugh with Elaine. Evidently, Bob & Elaine found a present in their basement from Miss Breton after we left. I know it was extra special too, because she left it for them without eating it.

Humbly yours,
Shannon & Breton

No comments:

Post a Comment